Error: "Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed..." When Attempting to Install Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2
Posted by on 24 February 2013 04:28 PM
You are attempting to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 instance when you receive the following error message:
This error can occur if a Microsoft® system folder is either missing or lacking the correct permissions.
"Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes."
Please use the following steps:
Note: The following information is provided as a convenience. Sage does not provide support for Microsoft Products. For more information on this topic, go to Microsoft.com.
- Click the Windows® Start button and click Run.
- Type %appdata% and click OK.
- Browse to the Microsoft folder.
- Locate the Protect folder to assign the correct permissions:
Note: If the Protect folder is missing from the Microsoft folder, you will need to create it in this location by right-clicking and selecting Folder. Ensure to name the folder "Protect."
- Right-click on the Protect folder and select Properties.
- Click on the Security tab. Ensure the System and your logged on Windows User account is listed and both have Full Control.
- Click Add to begin adding the accounts. For Windows Vista®/Windows 7, you will need to click Edit first.
- In the "Enter the object names to select" box, type the word System, and press Enter on your keyboard. The System account should be listed now. SelectSystem from the user names list and select Full Control under the Allow column. Click Apply .
- Repeat these steps (3 and 4) to find, add, and assign Full Control permissions for your logged on Windows user account.
- Click OK.
- Attempt to install SQLServer 2008 R2.