DNN4Less can provide an upgrade of the DotNetNuke installation of your site upon request. The fee for this service is $30.00 per DNN installation. To request an upgrade please Login to the Support Desk and create a Ticket request the upgrade with a statement approving the $30.00 upgrade fee.
If you wish to perform DotNetNuke upgrade please follow the steps below:
Clients are free to upgrade DotNetNuke themselves however when they do upgrade themselves we do not guarantee an error free upgrade. Make sure to read this article completely, carefully and follow all the important steps.
- Backup the database.
- To learn, how to perform database backup in DNN4Less control panel visit: http://bit.ly/Ym8NtL
- Backup the file system.
- To learn, how to perform full website backup in DNN4Less control panel visit: http://bit.ly/YMiqBQ
- You can also download the DNN file system to your local computer using FTP.
- Make sure you did steps 1 & 2 above.
If the DNN installation uses third-party modules and / or skins that includes custom entries in the web.config file, the customer should consult with their vendor on the best way to perform an upgrade.
Please Note: If upgrading to version 5.x.x your site must be set to ASP.NET 4.0, you can check the ASP.NET version in your DNN site by going to Host\Host Settings.
- Download the latest upgrade package zip.
- Extract the upgrade package zip folders/files into a temporary folder on your local system. Do not manually extract any .zip files contained within folders of the upgrade package.
- Turn off AutoUpgrade
- By default DotNetNuke will be set to "AutoUpgrade", this means that the first user to hit the default.aspx page on any portal within your DNN installation will trigger the upgrade process. This is typically not a desired result as if an error occurs you might not be able to see the error log since the other individual started the upgrade. The way around this is to update the "AutoUpgrade" appSetting, if you set this to "false" you will be required to navigate to the <yoururl>/Install/Install.aspx page to perform the upgrade.
- <add key ="AutoUpgrade" value ="False" />
- If your site is public, place a html file named "App_Offline.htm" containing at least 512 characters in the root website folder (httpdocs) to temporarily take the site offline to users while performing the next step. For your convenience a generic "App_Offline.htm" is attached below.
- Upload via FTP or other access all folders/files from the extracted upgrade package on top of (over write) the existing site's folders and files. Content that you have created, modules you have installed, etc. will not be overwritten. When prompted to overwrite an existing folder or file answer OK or YES.
- Remove or rename the App_Offline.htm file if you placed one in the root website folder.
- Browse to the website triggering the upgrade wizard which will prompt for host password and take care of everything from that point on. NOTE: If auto-upgrade has been disabled in the AppSettings section of web.config (step 3 above), you will need to browse to "<yourdomain>/Install/Install.aspx?mode=upgrade" to trigger the upgrade.